Friday, June 24, 2022

yellow parrot

1/6 gill Absinthe (3/4 oz Butterfly)
1/6 gill Yellow Chartreuse (3/4 oz)
1/6 gill Apricot Brandy (3/4 oz Rothman & Winter)

Shake (stir) with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Note that 1 gill is 4 oz, so 1/6 gill is 2/3 oz and I rounded up slightly.
At Drink, I have a few clusters of absinthe cocktail-drinking regulars, and I am always on the lookout for new recipes as well as adapting ones to swap in the absinthe (such as the Absinthe Painkiller with 1 oz each absinthe, Plantation Barbados or Xaymaca rum, coconut cream, pineapple, and orange juice with a nutmeg garnish). One of the classics that has gotten mentioned recently is the Yellow Parrot, and I made it for them with great success; therefore, I decided to mix one up for myself at home. I was able to trace it back to Robert Vermeire's 1922 Cocktails: How to Mix Them, and my reprint copy referred to it as a Boston cocktail. When I inquired on Twitter and tagged David Wondrich, he had no further information as to where and when this was created (especially since 1922 was during Prohibition and after absinthe was banned). On Instagram, the Butterfly Absinthe account replied back that "some 19th century French drinkers described drinking absinthe as 'strangling the parrot'" which gave some idea as to the name. With that absinthe choice, I was greeted with black licorice, apricot, and anise aromas on the nose. Next, a semi-fruity and honey sip flapped into black licorice, herbal, and orchard fruit flavors on the swallow.

No comments: