Monday, June 19, 2023

anchor-faced

2 oz Smith & Cross Rum
3/4 oz Lustau East India Solera Sherry
3/8 oz Amaro Ciociaro
3/8 oz Crème de Banane (Tempus Fugit)
2 dash Dale DeGroff's Pimento Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.
After writing up the Blue Plate Special, I latched onto the Ciociaro-banana liqueur combination. I took it in a funky rum direction and tried to fit it into the .38 Special's structure, but it was still rather aggressive. I  then utilized some cream sherry to tame it, and I added accents with allspice bitters. For a name, I dubbed this one Anchor-Faced which is a slang term for someone who is extremely enthusiastic to be in the British Royal Navy. Here, the Anchor-Faced proffered orange, caramel, and rum funk aromas. Next, grape and caramel notes on the sip enlisted funky rum and tropical banana-orange flavors on the swallow with an allspice and funk finish.

No comments: