Monday, June 5, 2023

godfather

2 oz Scotch (Cutty Sark Prohibition)
1/2 oz Amaretto (Disaronno)

Build in an old fashioned glass, add ice, stir to mix and chill, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Mondays ago, I began flipping through Steve the Bartender's Cocktail Guide, came across the Godfather, and realized that I had never written it up for the blog. The drink's genesis is tied to the 1970s perhaps inspired by the 1972 movie, and the earliest source that I can find in my collection is the 1977 Stan Jones' Barguide. Stan Jones' recipe lacks a garnish and also includes Bourbon as an option despite that version appearing in there as The Boss. The God series was popular at Drink back in the day due to a cult fascination with amaretto, and that recipe is 2 1/2 oz to 1/2 oz with no garnish; I utilized Drink's ratio and included the lemon twist from Steve's book. In the glass, the Godfather proffered lemon, apricot, and nutty aromas. Next, malt and orchard fruit on the sip converted into smoky whisky, nutty, and fruity flavors on the swallow. Overall, the concent reminds me of my guilty pleasure of a Rusty Nail as well as the Highlander in the concept of two part drinks of Scotch and a liqueur modifier.

No comments: