Thursday, June 22, 2023

jubilee street

1 1/2 oz Van Brunt Still House American Whiskey (Old Overholt 86°)
1/2 oz Amaro Montenegro
1/8+ oz Maple Syrup
1/8 oz Allspice Dram (Hamilton's)

Build in an old fashioned glass, add ice, stir to mix and chill, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Thursdays ago, I was perusing Kindred Cocktails when I came across the Jubilee Street created by Richard Boccato at Dutch Kills in Long Island City, NY, and published in Gary Regan's 101 Best New Cocktails Vol. 4 (the same volume that contains my Chutes and Ladders). Overall, the idea reminded me of The Sherpa also crafted at Dutch Kills that was whiskey, allspice dram, and curaçao with the last element here being Amaro Montenegro and maple syrup. While I did not have the Van Brunt four grain whiskey that the bar used, I figured that Old Overholt would work in a pinch in this drink possibly named after a Nick Cave song.
Once prepared, the Jubilee Street proffered a lemon, maple, and hint of clementine to the nose. Next, a slightly citrus-noted sip flowed into whiskey, orange, maple, and allspice flavors on the swallow.

No comments: