Monday, April 22, 2024

devil's own mistress

1 1/2 oz Planteray OFTD Rum
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
1/4 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz Fernet Branca
1/4 oz Crème de Banane (Tempus Fugit)
6 drop Absinthe (St. George)

Stir with ice and strain into an old fashioned glass with a large cube.

Two Mondays ago, I uncovered a note that I had made on my phone with a riff on the Away Colors that I had thought up. To the rum, Fernet, and banana combination, I added in Benedictine and Punt e Mes and took the rum into overdrive with Planteray's OFTD. The combination did not work as well as planned, but switching the aromatized wine to regular sweet vermouth helped a lot as did adding in a few drops of absinthe to brighten the balance. Since I was already in my phone's notepad, I went to a list of drink names that I had turned up in my reading, and I found the Devil's Own Mistress from Stephanie Schorow's The Combat Zone book that was listed as a nickname for one of the performers, Amy Walker.
The Devil's Own Mistress stepped on stage with a dark rum, caramel, and anise bouquet. Next, grape and caramel notes on the sip twirled into burly rum, caramelized banana, and bitter herbal flavors on the swallow with an anise finish.

No comments: