Sunday, October 4, 2026

earthy delights

1 oz Planteray 5 Year Barbados Rum (Doorly's 12 Year)
1 oz Smith & Cross Rum
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz Orgeat (*)
1/4 oz Cynar (*)
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a cherry.
(*) If I were to remake this, I would drop the orgeat to 1/2 oz and up the Cynar to 1/2 oz.
Two Sundays ago, I decided to make a drink that I spotted on a friend's Instagram post called the Earthly Delights created by cocktail enthusiast Todd Brant from Pasadena and entered into the Kindred Cocktails database. On paper, it reminded me a little of the Turnbuckle that I featured in my "Minimalist Amaro Tiki" seminar the Monday before albeit with different proportions, a different tropical note (pineapple versus passion fruit), and a few other details. Once prepared, the Earthly Delights donated an almond, rum funk, and cherry aroma to the nose. Next, a creamy lime and pineapple sip blossomed into funky rum, nutty, herbal, and allspice flavors on the swallow. The only change I would make would be cutting the orgeat by 1/4 oz (both to reduce the sweetness to match the lime juice and the orgeat's dominance), and perhaps upping the Cynar by a 1/4 oz to make it a perfect 4 oz build again and increase the quotient of bitter funk.

No comments: