Thursday, October 8, 2026

fits the bill

1 1/2 oz Evan Williams Bourbon (Bonded)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice (*)
1/2 oz Ginger Syrup
6 dash Nocino (1/4 oz Russo)
2 dash Chocolate Bitters (Bittermens Mole)

Shake with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with an orange twist.
(*) Perhaps lower this to 1/2 oz lemon juice or add a 1/4 oz simple syrup to the mix.
Two Thursdays prior, I was skimming through the online recipe flashcards for Bourbon & Branch in San Francisco when I opted for the Fits the Bill from a 2017 collection. A Yelp menu photo in Spring 2025 attributed it to alumni Darren Crawford with the description, "Sometimes you need a drink that is straight to the point. The balance of Bourbon and baking spices are a perfect fit.", and the drink was mentioned as early as 2014 in Yelp reviews. Ginger syrup and walnut liqueur have been paired here twice before, namely in the Pajazo Mental and the Tell Me More, so I was curious to try it here. Once shaken and strained, the Fits the Bill gave forth an orange, Bourbon, and ginger bouquet to the nose. Next, a lemon-driven sip connected with Bourbon, ginger, and walnut flavors on the swallow with a chocolate finish. The only change I would make would be to reduce the lemon juice by a 1/4 oz or add a 1/4 oz of simple syrup to take the edge off of the drink.

No comments: