Wednesday, January 13, 2016


2/3 Gin (1 1/2 oz Bluecoat)
1/3 Sweet Vermouth (1 1/2 oz (Dolin)
1 dash Crème de Cacao (1/4 oz Tempus Fugit)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Two Wednesdays ago, I spied the Maxim from Boothby's 1934 World Drinks & How to Mix Them that I viewed as a Chocolate Martinez. Therefore, instead of a two parts gin to one part sweet vermouth, I made this one equal parts like I prefer my Martinezes. Once prepared, the Maxim gave forth juniper, chocolate, and vanilla aromas. The vermouth's grape filled the sip, and the swallow presented juniper, citrus, and complementary chocolate flavors.


Dagreb said...

This intrigues me! My experience with the Maxim is that it calls for dry vermouth.

frederic said...

I was not familiar with the Maxim, but it does not surprise me for there are a good number of examples of variance in Boothby '34. Which is true of a lot of cocktail books (even modern ones).