Monday, July 25, 2016

ponche

2 oz Tequila (Piedra Azul Blanco)
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Nectar (Passion Fruit Syrup)
1/2 oz Rock Candy Syrup (1/2 oz BG Reynolds Vanilla Syrup)
2 dash Vanilla (combined above)

Blend with 1 scoop of ice and pour into a 10 oz glass (Recipe was doubled, shaken with ice, strained into a 18 oz Tiki bowl, and topped with crushed ice). Decorate with a mint sprig.
Two Mondays ago, I turned to Trader Vic's 1972 Bartender's Guide for some refreshment to cut the summer night's heat. There, I spotted the tequila-based Ponche that seemed rather tropical. I ended up doubling the recipe in part to make use of the new vintage Tiki bowl that I had bought. Once built, the Ponche gave forth luscious mint and vanilla aromas. Next, lemon and hints of pineapple on the sip transitioned into tequila, passion fruit, and pineapple on the swallow with a vanilla finish. Overall, the drink reminded me of the tequila Hurricane variation I created last year for an event, the Hopping through the Frothy Waves, with additional pineapple and vanilla elements.

No comments: