Friday, July 1, 2016

scorpion bowl

6 oz Orange Juice (1 1/2 oz)
4 oz Lemon Juice (1 oz)
1 1/2 oz Orgeat (1/2 oz)
6 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum (1 1/2 oz Caliche)
1 oz Brandy (1/4 oz Camus VS Cognac)

Blend with 16 oz crushed ice for 10 seconds and pour into a Tiki bowl (shake with ice, strain into a bowl, and fill with crushed ice). Garnish with a gardenia.

Two Fridays ago after my work shift, I began to flip through Beachbum Berry's Remixed. There, I spotted the classic Scorpion Bowl; while I have ordered Scorpion Bowls at less reputable Tiki establishments like Kowloon's in Saugus and the Hong Kong in Cambridge, I have never had the Trader Vic original. I have more styled variations including the Luau and Kelbo's Scorpions though. Since it was not a party and I did not have the requisite 2-4 people for the full sized bowl, I made a quarter sized one for myself.
Once built and garnished, the Scorpion Bowl offered mint and floral aromas. Next, a dry orange and lemon sip led into a rum, nutty, and tart citrus swallow. Overall, I was quite impressed how the balance was the complete opposite of the stereotypical syrupy Tiki drink, but rather it was a bit crisper even after I used extra orgeat (scaled down by 3 instead of by 4 fold).

No comments: