Thursday, July 14, 2016

the cobra effect

1 oz Jamaican Black Rum (Coruba)
1 oz Aged Rhum Agricole (Depaz)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Falernum (Velvet)
1/2 oz Sloe Gin (Atxa Patxaran)

Shake or blend (shake) with crushed ice and pour into a Tiki mug. Fill with crushed ice and garnish creatively with carved citrus or mint sprigs.

Two Thursday ago, the new issue of Imbibe Magazine arrived on my doorstep and I immediately found a recipe in a falernum article that I wanted to make. The Cobra Effect was created by Owen Thomson of Archipelago in Washington, DC, and the name reminded me of the Cobra which it barely has a resemblance to (although the later Cobra's Fang did contain a 1/4 oz of falernum in the mix). Instead, some of the ingredients made me think of the classic Shark's Tooth given the sloe gin, and perhaps Misty Kalkofen's Pua Lani and definitely my Tempestade given the sloe gin and falernum.
The Cobra Effect gave forth a floral and mint aroma. On the palate, lime and dark berry notes on the sip led into funky and grassy rums, berry, and clove elements on the swallow.

No comments: