Saturday, September 10, 2016

hey heywood!

3/4 oz Berkshire Mountain Distillers Greylock Gin
3/4 oz St. George Spiced Pear Liqueur
3/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
For the drink of the day at Loyal Nine two weeks ago, I was inspired by the Hoop La cocktail. As I described in that post, it appears in the Savoy Cocktail Book under three other names including the Hey Hey and a nod to Algonquin Round Table member Frank Sullivan. I might have also considered its relation to Last Word variations especially those that were a bit softer with Yellow Chartreuse instead of Green. To mimic the brandy base in the Hoop La, I utilized St. George's Spiced Pear Liqueur and opted for a more herbal base spirit of gin. I had tested the recipe out the week before with a regular as a 3:1:1:1 recipe, and he thought it was a bit thin but delicious. He reordered it as an equal parts number and rather enjoyed it. For a name, I stuck with the Hoop La theme and combined the Hey Hey with another Algonquin Round Table member, Heywood Broun, to form the Hey Heywood!

1 comment:

Dan Braganca said...

I'll have to try this. My "Pearish the Thought" cocktail is essentially a cross between this and the Hoop La cocktail you linked. It's 0.75 Copper & Kings Brandy, 0.75 St George Spiced Pear Liqueur, 0.75 Cocchi Americano, 0.75 Fresh Lemon, 1 barspoon dem syrup, 1 dash absinthe. I originally made it with Copper & Kings at Backbar, but I'm sure it would work with most cognac/brandies. Not sure if a substitute would affect the need for the bs of dem.