Thursday, September 29, 2016

mount pelee

1 1/2 oz JM Rhum Agricole Blanc
1/2 oz Rothman & Winter Apricot Liqueur
1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
1/2 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth
2 dash Regan's Orange Bitters
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.
For my drink of the day at Loyal Nine two weeks ago, I was inspired in writing about Martin Cate's Abricot Vieux from the Smuggler's Cove Cocktail Book to have re-discovered John Gertsen's Rhum Agricot that he crafted at Drink. Both drinks share rhum agricole and apricot liqueur; moreover, from Cate's recipe, I imported the Regan's Orange and Angostura Bitters, and from Gertsen's, I nicked the dry vermouth. As an additional element, I threw in falernum to complement the citrus and spice elements in the mix. Finally, as a name, I dubbed this one the Mount Pelée after the active volcano that occasionally destroys rhum distilleries and towns on Martinique.

No comments: