Friday, September 23, 2016

the black stallion sets sail

1 oz Blackstrap Rum (Cruzan)
1 oz Sweet Vermouth (Alessio)
1/2 oz Fernet Branca
1/2 oz Campari
3 drop Saline Solution (1 pinch Salt)

Build in a Double Old Fashioned glass, add a large ice cube, stir to mix and chill, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Fridays ago, I honed in for my post-shift nightcap a recipe that I spotted on Punch Drinks article on the Ferrari and other 50:50 shots and drinks. The Ferrari is an equal parts mix of Fernet and Campari that I wrote about previously in the Ferrari Colada, but it has not seemed to get much action in Boston over just plain Fernet shots. The article's recipe that I wanted to make was The Black Stallion Sets Sail by John Parra and Kyle Henkin of Fox Liquor Bar in Raleigh, NC; they described the concoction as "a neo-tiki Negroni" and the name reminded me of the Fernet-laden Follow that Black Rabbit.
The Black Stallion Sets Sail proffered orange, dark molasses, and herbal menthol notes to the nose. Next, grape, caramel, and orange flavors on the sip led into dark rum and a light minty-menthol note on the swallow. Definitely the drink would be a bit of a beast if the bitter-neutralizing salt aspect had not been included in the mix.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

The name reminds me more of a series of books I read as a kid: The Black Stallion. I've been trying to re-read the ones I liberated from my childhood home, but it's a bit of a slog and I think I'd rather just have this drink instead. :-)