Thursday, March 29, 2018

cuban

2/3 Gin (1 1/2 oz Beefeater)
2 dash Maraschino (1/4 oz Luxardo)
2 dash French Vermouth (3/4 oz Noilly Prat Dry)
3 dash Grenadine (3/8 oz)
1 dash Ojen or Orange Bitters (1/8 oz Herbsaint + 1 dash Regan's Orange)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.

For an after-dinner drink two Thursdays ago, I began perusing Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 for an intriguing gem. There, I spotted the Cuban that appeared like an Improved Atta Boy from the Savoy Cocktail Book (gin, dry vermouth, grenadine). While I could not figure out why this one was called the Cuban, the combination of grenadine and Maraschino reminded me of Cuban delights like the Mary Pickford that was first mentioned in the 1928 When It's Cocktail Time in Cuba and the Marco Antonio from the 1935 La Florida Cocktail Book.
In the glass, the Cuban shared an orange, fruity, and anise bouquet with hints of nuttiness. Next, a semi-dry berry and white wine sip gave way to gin, nutty cherry, and absinthe-like flavors. Overall, I was quite pleased with the fruit and herbal complexity of this combination.

No comments: