Friday, March 23, 2018

cowgirl in the sand

1 1/2 oz Four Roses Bourbon
1/2 oz Crème de Peche (Briottet)
1/2 oz Orgeat
3/4 oz Lime Juice (*)

Shake with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with a mint sprig (spend half lime shell).
(*) Lemon might have been intended according to the comment, but I went with what was published.

Two Fridays ago, I decided make a drink that I had spotted on the OnTheBar app called the Cowgirl in the Sand. The recipe was crafted by Jake Bliven whom I had met at Portland Cocktail Week 2012 when he was an Oregon bartender, and now he is sharing his knowledge abroad at Yiamas Greeka Taverna in Taipei, Taiwan. The Cowgirl in the Sand had the format of an American whiskey Mai Tai akin to the Bluegrass Ma Tai, but it had the elegant pairing of orgeat and peach liqueur that worked well in the Henry Trotter instead of the more standard orgeat and curaçao one. Therefore, I was game to give this "Tiki in the Continental South" a try as my post-work shift libation.
The Cowgirl in the Sand proffered a nutty peach aroma with hints of Bourbon to the nose. Next, a creamy lime sip led into whiskey and nutty flavors on the swallow with a lime and peach finish. While my initial reaction reading the recipe was that lemon might work better here with the Bourbon than lime, the presence of crème de peche and orgeat seemed to smooth things over, and the lime was able to offer up some bitterness that would have been lacking in the lemon version.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It’s supposed to be lemon haha. Sorry brother I just saw this for the first time tonight but you are correct (Meyer lemon is what I’ve really wanted to use here in theory). Hope we cross paths soon!