Friday, March 16, 2018

chandler

1/2 Brandy (1 3/4 oz Copper & Kings Blue Sky Mining)
1/4 Maraschino (1/4 oz Luxardo)
2 dash Italian Vermouth (3/4 oz Punt e Mes)
1 dash Cointreau (1/4 oz)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.
Two Fridays ago, I sought out a nightcap in Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 and found the Chandler. I ended up interpreting the call for Italian vermouth as Punt e Mes to give some bitter depth to the drink, and I reshaped the proportions to be akin to a Brandy Brookyln of sorts. Once prepared, the Chandler offered up bright orange oils over brandy and nutty cherry aromas. Next, a grape-driven sip stepped aside to a brandy, nutty, and bitter orange swallow. Overall, the combination reminded me of a Brandy Red Hook or perhaps even a Hoskins Cocktail.