Monday, March 19, 2018

hollow point

1 1/2 oz Bourbon (Old Grand-Dad Bonded)
1/2 oz Cocchi Sweet Vermouth (Maurin)
3/8 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)
3/8 oz Campari

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

After the Adonis, I reached for Michael Madrusan's A Spot at the Bar and paused on the Hollow Point. The book provided the history of having a guest describe a drink that he had by listing off the ingredients, and the Everleigh bartenders concocted this in response to his request. I had previously passed over the recipe for it seemed too similar to my Boulevardier-Slope mashup that I called the Intercept, but given different proportions and my use of Punt e Mes and bitters instead of the Hollow Point's sweet vermouth, I figured it was worthy of test spin.
The Hollow Point gave forth a lemon and Bourbon nose that led into a malt and grape-laden sip. Next, the whiskey began the swallow that ended with a pleasantly bitter apricot-orange combination.

No comments: