Monday, June 10, 2019

sensation

3/4 Dry Gin (2 oz Beefeater)
1/4 Lemon Juice (3/4 oz)
3 dash Maraschino (1/2 oz Luxardo + 1/4 oz Simple Syrup)
3 sprig Mint (6 leaf)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added a floated mint leaf garnish.

Two Mondays ago, I turned to the 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book after a long time away from its pages. There, I spotted the Sensation that was like a crème de violette-less Aviation, a lemon for grapefruit Seventh Heaven, and a Southside with Maraschino as the sweetener. I was served a Genever variation, the New Sensation at Bergamot, but I had never had the gin classic.
The Sensation offered up minty, nutty cherry, and pine notes to the nose. Next, lemon and a hint of cherry on the sip became gin and nutty cherry flavors on the swallow with a minty herbal finish.

No comments: