Friday, October 5, 2007

aviation

1 1/2oz gin (Plymouth)
1/2oz Maraschino Liqueur
1/2oz Creme de Violette
1/2oz lemon juice

Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Source: Gary Regan via Chuck Taggart

I think this settles it... I just am not so into the citrus juice. It's kind of funny, since for years and years I'd go for whiskey or amaretto sours when I was out (but then, we're talking sour mix rather than actual juices). I mean, I like the taste but the citrus gets to be distracting. I'm going to try reducing the proportion next time and see if I can't find a balance I like.

Now, the violet liqueur... ohh, neat it's really amazing. I mean, it really is pure, distilled violet. The color is amazing, too. Husband was so impressed that he insisted I snap a photo and I wasn't at all set up for it and was in a hurry to actually try the stuff, so here is a quick, mediocre photograph!

I am definately looking forward to playing around with this gorgeous, purple stuff. It's funny, I'm finding that I gravitate towards liqueurs of impressive color (see: Campari, Chartreuse), despite the vastly different flavor profiles. What does that say about me?

No comments: