Tuesday, October 13, 2020

rare stamps

1 1/2 oz Cocchi Americano
1 oz Ron del Barrilito Rum (Don Q Añejo)
1/2 oz Cardamaro

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Tuesdays ago, I selected Sarah Baird's New Orleans Cocktails as a potential source for the evening's libation. There, I spotted the Rare Stamps created at the Ace Hotel, and I had previous skipped over this Rum Negroni of sorts when I lacked Cardamaro on my shelves. Once built, the Rare Stamps mailed a lemon oil aroma over orchard fruit notes of apricot and pear on the nose. Next, orange and peach elements on the sip opened up into rum and bitter tangerine flavors on the swallow. Overall, the combination reminded me a bit of the Sancti Spiritus albeit with a less aggressive rum note.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

This was unexpected but delightful!

CocktailVirgin said...

The Cardamaro really put a great color onto the Cocchi Americano (opposed to being its own flavor per se). I wonder how it would be with the Ron del Barrilito which has fruit infusions which sound like they would work in complementary ways with the fruit notes in the Cocchi Americano.