Wednesday, October 21, 2020

the brunswick

1 1/2 oz Old Grand-Dad 114° Bourbon
1/2 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Averna
1 tsp Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
1 dash Sarsparilla Tincture (1 bsp Root Liqueur)
3 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Wednesdays ago, I selected The NoMad Cocktail Book for the evening's libation. There, I was intrigued by Jonathan Armstrong's Brunswick that paired whiskey, vermouth, Campari, and Averna together akin to the Smoking Section. I had previously passed over this recipe for it calls for a sarsparilla tincture which I have yet to make; however, I remembered that I have a bottle of the now defunct Root Liqueur which would donate overlapping flavors. Once built, the Brunswick met the nose with a lemon, orange, and Bourbon aroma along with darker herbal notes. Next, a grape and caramel sip led into Bourbon, orange, and earthy swallow with a cherry and root beer finish.

No comments: