Saturday, October 24, 2020

cryptic memo

1 1/2 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse Bonded)
3/4 oz Amaro Ramazzotti
3/4 oz Campari

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Two Saturdays ago, I began browsing the Kindred Cocktails database for a drink that featured Amaro Ramazzotti when I spotted Kelley Swenson's Cryptic Memo that he created at Portland's June (and was published in StarChefs). I became acquainted with Kelley's recipes from the Left Coast Libations book which included the Celeriac and Toto/Broken Flower, so I was intrigued. Here, the Cryptic Memo was a Black Boulevardier or 1794 with Ramazzotti subbing in for the sweet vermouth. Once prepared, the Cryptic Memo relayed a bitter orange and rye aroma. Next, caramel with a citrussy note on the sip morphed into rye, root beer, and bitter orange flavors on the swallow.

1 comment:

pdxcocktails said...

The Cryptic Memo is one of my favorite cocktails, so I'm glad you wrote it up. It may yet attain "modern classic" status! Kelly was serving it before June opened, tho - we used to get them at the dearly departed 10-01 in 2009. I believe the earliest published recipe is here: http://www.boozecouncil.org/?p=214