Sunday, February 28, 2021

roman holiday

2 oz Bombay Sapphire Gin (Beefeater)
1/2 oz Aperol
1/2 oz Cynar
1 oz Blood Orange Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange twist and cherry. The text mentioned that regular orange juice can be used when blood oranges are out of season.
When Andrea returned home from the store two Sundays ago with a bag of blood oranges, I recalled a recipe that I had been eying in Frank Caiafa's The Waldorf Astoria Bar Book called the Roman Holiday. This 2010 number matched the blood orange with gin and two bitter liqueurs: Aperol and Cynar which have worked well together in drinks like the Rucola Negroni and Juan Bautista. The name made me think of my initial taste of blood oranges which was on my first vacation that I took on my own where I bought the fruit from vendors in Rome. Once prepared, the Roman Holiday greeted the nose with orange and pine notes. Next, orange and berry on the sip gave way to gin and bitter orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: