Monday, August 9, 2021

creole cocktail

1/2 Whiskey (1 1/4 oz Rittenhouse Bonded Rye)
1/2 Italian Vermouth (1 1/4 oz Cocchi Sweet)
2 dash Benedictine (1/4 oz)
2 dash Amer Picon (1/4 oz)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Recently, I was writing about a drink that reminded me of the Creole Cocktail, but I had to keep linking to a recipe at Green Street that utilized Punt e Mes in place of the hard to find Amer Picon. Therefore, I went back to my reprint of Hugo Ensslin's 1917 Recipes for Mixing Drinks and remade the earliest known recipe (technically first published in Ensslin's 1916 first edition). I stuck with rye as the call for whiskey to replicate modern interpretations and translated two dashes as a quarter ounce. In the glass, the Creole Cocktail donated a lemon oil over dark orange aroma. Next, grape and orange notes on the sip danced towards rye, herbal, orange, and grape flavors on the swallow.

No comments: