Monday, August 16, 2021

humble pie

1 1/2 oz Angel's Envy Bourbon
1/2 oz Laird's Bonded Applejack
1/2 oz Remy Martin 1738 Cognac
1/2 oz Amaro Nardini
1 tsp Nutmeg Syrup
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Syrup
1 dash Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with lemon and orange oil from twists. Note: the recipe in the book has two dashes of absinthe.
From Monday morning to Thursday afternoon two weeks prior, I was in Manhattan for the Angel's Envy regional meeting. One of our events was dinner at the Dead Rabbit on that Tuesday evening where they presented us a short menu of Bourbon drinks. The one I started with was the Humble Pie; after I acquired the recipe from the bartender and mentioned it to my teammate, he declared that it was in their second book, Mixology & Mayhem. Once home, I noted that the book attributed Jillian Vose for having crafted this number, and its recipe was the same save for the whiskey being a Tennessee rye as well as containing two dashes of Vieux Pontarlier Absinthe (either left off my hand-written recipe or not included for this event). While I did not take detailed tasting notes, I do recall it being in the ballpark of a Bourbon Old Fashioned with hints of something darker and fruitier in the works.

No comments: