Friday, August 27, 2021

north sea oil

1 1/2 oz Linie Aquavit (Aalborg)
3/4 oz Cocchi Americano
1/2 oz Laphroaig 10 Year Scotch
1/4 oz Combier Triple Sec (Cointreau)

Stir with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with a grapefruit twist.
Two Fridays ago, I turned to the NoMad Cocktail Book and spied Leo Robitschek's North Sea Oil. I had previously skipped over this one for I lack Linie's aged aquavit; however, I figured that the Scotch in the mix would provide enough barrel notes to make this combination work with an unaged aquavit. I was also intrigued for I have only previously paired Scotch and aquavit once in Trey Jenkin's Grog of Thor. In the glass, the North Sea Oil rose to the senses with a grapefruit, orange, caraway, and smoke aroma. Next, orchard fruit and pear notes led into smoky, orange, and caraway flavors on the swallow.

No comments: