Tuesday, September 14, 2021

explorer's negroni

3/4 oz Batavia Arrack (Von Oosten)
3/4 oz Mezcal (Mezcal Union)
1 oz Campari
1 oz Sweet Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
2 dash Absinthe (1 scant bsp Kübler)

Stir with ice, strain into an Old Fashioned glass with ice, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Tuesdays ago, someone made my Explorer's Dream and posted that riff on the Poet's Dream on Instagram. Therefore, I revisited the combination and wondered what else the Batavia Arrack-mezcal duo for gin would work in. The classic I went with was the Negroni, and I kept the absinthe from the Explorer's Dream for it worked great with Campari and sweet vermouth in the Quill.
The Explorer's Negroni discovered an orange, funk, and hint of smoke on the nose. Next, a dark berry on the sip reminded me of sloe gin, and the swallow landed with funky spirits melding into bitter orange flavors with anise accents.

No comments: