Sunday, September 26, 2021

jacko's end

1 oz Minero Mezcal (Mezcal Union)
1 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy
1/2 oz Benedictine
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a pear (apple) slice.

Two Sundays ago, I spotted a reference to the Jacko's End and hunted down the earliest reference to Paul Clarke's The Cocktail Chronicles. In 2010, Paul attributed the drink to Phil Ward at Mayahuel in 2009 on the day that Michael Jackson died. It came across as a mezcal for Scotch variation on Phil's Shruff's End that he crafted at Death & Co. circa 2008. I was lured in for the combination of apple and agave was one that Misty Kalkofen taught me (and she was in frequent communication with Phil at that time), and I used that duo plus Benedictine in my 2010 Hasta Manzana and my 2013 Downtown at Dawn. The latter was served at a Day of the Dead event at Russell House Tavern hosted by Misty who had just began working for Del Maguey Mezcal.
Jacko's End began with apple, vegetal, and smoke aromas. Next, a semi-sweet sip with light hints of apple and caramel notes finished off with smoky mezcal, apple, herbal, and anise flavors.

No comments: