Thursday, September 16, 2021

the bowery

2 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse Bonded)
1/2 oz Amontillado Sherry (Lustau)
1/4 oz Amaro Ramazzotti
1/4 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe pre-rinsed with absinthe (Copper & Kings), and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Fridays ago, I recalled how I saw Rachel at Backbar making Eric Alperin's Skid Row as a bartender's whim, and I was inspired to riff on it. I swapped the Genever for rye, kept the Ramazzotti and apricot liqueur, and supplemented the notes with sherry and absinthe. For a name, I dubbed this one the Bowery after one of the historical skid rows in Manhattan. Here, the Bowery gave forth an orange, dried apricot, and anise nose. Next, malt, grape, and dried fruit on the sip led into rye, nutty, and bitter apricot flavors on the swallow with an anise finish.

No comments: