Thursday, December 16, 2021

hunt & peck

1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1/2 oz Sombra Mezcal (Mezcal Union)
1/2 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth (Lacuesta Rojo)
1/4 oz Averna
1 tsp Campari

Stir with ice, strain into a Nick & Nora glass, and garnish with a cherry and orange oil from a twist.
Two Thursdays ago, I got home rather late after my bar shift at Drink, and I knew that I could find something delicious pretty quickly in Death & Co.'s new book Welcome Home. The first cocktail to catch my attention was the Hunt & Peck that had the rye-mezcal combination that I first uncovered in the Red Ant back in 2010. Here, it was done in Manhattan/Black Manhattan style with sweet vermouth, Averna, and Campari balancing the spirits. In the glass, the Hunt & Peck greeted the senses with an orange oil aroma. Next, grape and caramel notes mingled on the sip and led into rye, smoky vegetal, and bitter orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: