Monday, October 31, 2022

little easy

1 1/2 oz Famous Grouse Blended Scotch
1/2 oz Averna
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters
2 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)
1 cube Sugar (a small Demerara cube)

Muddle the sugar cube with the bitters (I added 1/4 oz water). Add the rest of the ingredients, stir with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass pre-rinsed with abinsthe (Kübler), and garnish with orange oils from a twist.
Two Mondays ago, I decided to make a Sazerac variation that I had spotted a few days before on Kindred Cocktails. That recipe was the Little Easy attributed to Brian Quinn in his 2012 Food Republic article (no longer online for me to confirm). Scotch and Averna have paired well through various recipes so I was game to give this one a try. Here, it proffered an orange, caramel, and anise aroma that preceded the Averna's caramel notes on the sip. Next, the swallow came through with Scotch, herbal, and cherry-anise flavors.

No comments: