Sunday, July 2, 2023

bourgeois guilt

2 oz Pierre Ferrand Ambre Cognac (Du Peyrat Selection)
1/4 oz Walnut Liqueur (Russo Nocino)
1/4 oz Benedictine
1/8 oz Bigallet China-China (1/4 oz Amaro Ciociaro)
2 dash Fee's Walnut Bitters (4 dash Strongwater Mountain Elixirs)

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Sundays ago, I was searching through the Kindred Cocktails database when I came across the Bourgeois Guilt created by Chicago home bartender Applejack. With Cognac, walnut liqueur, and Benedictine, it reminded me of my Pirate's Alley but here with the Amer Picon-like Bigallet China-China and without the split spirit base of Scotch that I included. Once prepared, the Bourgeois Guilt began with an orange and rich Cognac aroma bolsterd by caramel and walnut notes. Next, the caramel continued on into the sip where it got overwhelmed by Cognac, walnut, herbal, and bitter orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: