Sunday, December 31, 2023

double dutch

1 1/2 oz Bols Genever (Bols Genever Barrel Aged)
1 oz Dolin Blanc Vermouth
1/2 oz Sombra Mezcal (Peloton de la Muerte)
1/4 oz Crème de Cacao (Bols)
2 dash Mole Bitters (Bittermens)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe.
Two Sundays ago, I was scanning through a collection of online recipe flashcards from the NoMad and spotted the Double Dutch. I was getting discouraged since I could not find the drink on any Yelp or GoogleMaps menu photo or review, but I later found it mentioned in a 2012 blog post about Eleven Madison Park which was in the same restaurant group as the NoMad. I have had Genever and mezcal in a trio of drinks before – the 1820, Smokey Hollander, and Smokey the Pear all with citrus – so I was curious to try this straight spirits number. Once prepared, the Double Dutch showcased a malty, floral, vegetal, and hint of smoke aroma. Next, a white grape sip transitioned to malty, smokey, vegetal, and chocolate-herbal flavors on the swallow.

No comments: