Tuesday, December 12, 2023

gentian's companion

1 oz Plymouth Gin (Beefeater)
1 oz Blanc Vermouth (Dolin)
3/4 oz Salers Gentian Liqueur (Suze)
1/4 oz Allspice Dram (Hamilton's)
1/8 of Crème de Peche (Mathilde)

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with ice, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Tuesdays ago, I purchased a new bottle of Dolin Blanc to make a drink from Raines Law Room called the Gentian's Companion. The name made me think of Charles H. Baker Jr.'s cocktail book titles, and I found the recipe via online flashcards from the bar and spotted it listed on their 2017 menu. The combination of gentian liqueur and allspice dram reminded me of the Sinnerman than inspired me to create the Sinnerman Swizzle, and the gin, aromatized wine, and gentian liqueur aspect was reminiscent of the White Negroni. Once prepared, the Gentian's Companion proffered a lemon and herbal bouquet to the nose. Next, white fruit notes on the sip flowed into gin, gentian, and peach flavors on the swallow with an allspice finish. Overall, the gentian-peach combination impressed me as a great one that I had never been exposed to before.

No comments: