Monday, July 15, 2024

baby turtle

2 oz Reposado Tequila (Espolon)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup 2:1 (1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup 1:1 + 1/4 oz Simple Syrup)
1/4 oz Campari
2 dash 20% Saline (5 drop)
1 Egg White

Shake one round without ice and one round with ice and strain into a double old fashioned glass with ice.
Two Mondays ago, I found the browser tab with a drink from Punch that I saved when I did not have a grapefruit in the house. That recipe was the Baby Turtle at Trick Dog in San Francisco. A 2013 Eater San Francisco article about the bar finally opening mentioned that the Baby Turtle was included as part the first menu with a Pantone color theme; moreover, the Punch article described how guests still order it at the bar (despite not being on any recent menu). The combination reminded me of the mezcal-based Quetzal that I created at La Brasa when tasked with a Paloma-inspired drink, except the Baby Turtle has aged tequila and egg white. In the glass, the Baby Turtle welcomed the senses with a cinnamon and grapefruit bouquet. Next, a creamy lime and grapefruit sip crawled towards tequila, bitter orange-grapefruit, and cinnamon flavors on the swallow. Overall, the drink was a bit more red than the tannish Pantone hue of that name.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I just made this tonight and it’s fantastic! I’m always looking for cocktails that use a little Campari. Just a little because my palate can’t handle a Negroni.