Wednesday, July 24, 2024

under the veil

2 oz Cognac (Monnet VSOP)
1/2 oz Amaro Sfumato
1/2 oz Crème de Cassis (Massenez)
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash Cardamom Bitters (The Bitter House Wife)

Stir with ice, strain into a coupe glass, and garnish with a cherry.
Two Wednesdays ago, I opened up my new purchase of A Quick Drink: The Speed Rack Guide to Winning Cocktails for Any Mood by Lynnette Marrero and Ivy Mix for the evening's libation. While flipping through the pages, I stopped once I read the ingredients for the Under the Veil by Brooklyn bartender Alisha Neverson as her take on a Black Manhattan, for the combination of Sfumato and cassis worked rather well together in the Emotional Tailspin. Therefore, I decided to make the Under the Veil and reach for the bottle of cassis that I had not touched in a year since I made that other recipe. Once prepared, the Under the Veil showcased a char, roast, and cherry bouquet to the nose. Next, a dark fruit, roast, and caramel sip progressed into Cognac and bitter dark berry flavors on the swallow with a smoke and char finish.

No comments: