Wednesday, July 17, 2024

the campground

1 1/2 oz Old Forester 86° Bourbon (Maker's Mark)
3/4 oz Averna
1/4 oz Laphroaig 10 Year Scotch
1/4 oz Amaro Sfumato
1/4 oz Simple Syrup

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass with a big cube.
Two Wednesdays ago, I uncovered a collection of online recipe flashcards for Drastic Measures in Shawnee, Kansas, and I was lured in by the Campground. The menu described the drink as "A smoky Black Manhattan riff for the thoughtful drinker", and the feel reminded me of Sother Teague's Char #8 which I made quite a bit while bartending at Drink. I was able to narrow down its genesis to sometime between the bar opening in June 2020 and a Yelp menu photo in February 2021. Once prepared, the Campground began with a peat smoke and char aroma. Next, a caramel-driven sip slid into Bourbon, smoky Scotch, bitter herbal, and roast flavors on the swallow.

No comments: