Wednesday, October 2, 2024

negroni daiquiri

3/4 oz Campari
3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice, strain into a coupe, and garnish with a lime wheel.
Two Wednesdays ago for Negroni Week, the Campari Academy posted on their Instagram the Negroni Daiquiri by Bobby Heugel and Kristen Nepomuceno. An article I found declared that this mashup of the two classics was at Refuge, their all day coffee-cocktail bar that they opened two years ago next door to their flagship Anvil in Houston; the lower proof of this drink makes sense for a day-drinking program. When a follower asked on Instagram if there was rum in this "Daiquiri", I replied, "I was expecting it too since the White Negroni Daiquiri has rum in it. But alas, it's 4 ingredients from the source I listed." Similarly, another follower questioned the lack of gin in the "Negroni" part and wondered if it were an Americano Daiquiri instead; I commented that when I first read the ingredients, it made me think of a Milano-Torino Daiquiri due to the lack of soda water. Regardless of the nomenclature discussion, the drink was very tasty and straight forward in the glass. It began with a bitter orange, grape, and lime aroma. Next, lime and grape on the sip leapt into a swallow that was all about Campari's bitter orange flavors.

No comments: