Sunday, September 25, 2016

derby cup

1 1/4 oz Four Roses Bourbon
3/4 oz Mint Syrup (*)
1 1/4 oz Pimm's No. 1
3/4 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a Collins glass containing 2 oz soda water. Top with crushed ice and garnish with a mint sprig and borage flowers. Floating a barspoon of funky Jamaican rum like Wray & Nephew or Smith & Cross would not be out of place here (originally intended but left out of this drink of the day recipe).
(*) Here, a tea made from a steep with hot simple syrup, but muddling mint sprigs in simple syrup and straining will work well.
For my drink of the day at Loyal Nine two Sundays ago, I decided to make a mashup of two popular summer drinks -- namely a cross between a Mint Julep and a Pimm's Cup. From the Julep, I kept the Bourbon, mint, and crushed ice aspects and I considered floating a barspoon of Jamaican rum which is a technique called for in a few late 19th century drink books (I left it out since I figured that the extra ingredient would confuse the verbal description of the drink by servers at the tables); and from the Pimm's Cup, I kept the Pimm's, lemon, soda, and borage flower garnishes. The combination of Pimm's, Bourbon, and lemon worked rather well in the Hungry like the Wolf, but this combination went in a different direction with the mint and without the ginger beer and elderflower liqueur.

No comments: