Thursday, June 8, 2017

american house julep

1 jigger Cascades Rye Whiskey (1 1/2 oz Old Overholt)
1/3 Brandy (1/2 oz Camus VS Cognac)
5 sprig Mint (10 leaf)
1 tsp Sugar (1 Demerara Sugar Cube + 1/4 oz Water)

Muddle the sugar cube with the water until dissolved, lightly muddle the mint in the syrup, add the rest of the ingredients, fill with crushed ice, and stir. Garnish with mint, orange slices, etc. (mint sprigs) and add a straw.

Two Thursdays ago, I was looking through Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 when I spotted the American House Julep. What intrigued me was that this recipe had the flip spirits ratio of the better known Cognac-heavy Prescription Julep. I had my first Prescription Julep back at a Ted Haigh talk at Tales of the Cocktail in 2009, but sadly I did not record that recipe moment here (and I will remedy that in the near future by crafting another -- postnote: here). Although the inverse aspect is just my interpretation of the vague recipe that is rather common for the Pioneers book.
The American House Julep shared a glorious bouquet of mint notes to the nose that led into a malt sip filled with richness from the demerara syrup. Next, the rye and Cognac flavors on the swallow were elegantly spiced by the mint on the finish.

No comments: