Thursday, June 22, 2017

lumberjack julep

1 oz Bourbon (Larceny)
1 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1/4 oz Maple Syrup
3 sprigs Mint

Muddle the leaves of the mint sprigs, add the rest of the ingredients and crushed ice, and stir. Top with crushed ice, garnish with a mint sprig, and add a straw.
After my work shift two Thursdays ago, I returned to my Food & Wine: Cocktails collection to discover an unmade gem. In the 2013 edition, I came across Josh Durr's Lumberjack Negroni that utilized maple syrup as the sweetener to the dual American whiskey base. Once prepared, the Lumberjack Julep gave forth a mint aroma that led into maple richness and malt on the sip. Next, rye spice and mint on the sip was followed by maple and additional mint notes on the finish.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, damn, this sounds like something I absolutely need to make in order for my life to maintain an acceptable degree of meaning and fulfillment.