Monday, June 26, 2017

sheltering sky

1 1/2 oz Cognac (Camus VS)
1/2 oz Swedish Punsch (Kronan)
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/2 oz Amontillado Sherry (Lustau)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Mondays ago, I spotted a recipe that I submitted to a 2014 ShakeStir competition; however, I never got around to making the drink since time was running out before the deadline. For this Cognac event, I was inspired by the Rocket from Pioneers of Mixing in Elite Bars: 1903-1933 with its brandy, Swedish punsch, sweet vermouth, and Picon elements. I converted the vermouth to nutty sherry and the Picon to Benedictine and Angostura Bitters. For a name, I remember strolling over to one of my bookshelves, spotting the Paul Bowles' mid-century classic, and figured that it represented world travel in a glass.
The Sheltering Sky presented an orange and nutty bouquet to the nose. Next, a rich grape sip led into Cognac, tea, minty, chocolate, and nutty flavors on the swallow with an allspice and rum funk finish.

No comments: