Wednesday, May 25, 2022

fitzgerald

1 1/2 oz Gin (Alchemy Dry)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Simple Syrup
4 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a rocks glass with ice (coupe without ice), and garnish with a lemon wheel (lemon twist).
After my bar shift two Wednesdays ago, I got home and needed a nightcap. I selected Dale DeGroff's The New Craft of the Cocktail book and spotted the Fitzgerald that I had been meaning to make for myself. I had previously made it for a pair of guests at Drink who claimed it was one of their parents' house cocktail. In the book, Dale described how he came up with this combination at the Rainbow Room on the fly for a guest looking to move past the Gin & Tonic as their summer cocktail. With a structure that reminded me of a Pegu Club and a Fine & Dandy, I was game to give this one a go. In the glass, the Fitzgerald showcased a lemon, juniper, and clove aroma. Next, lemon with a darker note on the sip led into gin, clove, and allspice flavors on the swallow.

No comments: