Thursday, May 19, 2022

the dog that bit me

30 mL Aquavit (1 oz Linie)
15 mL Mezcal (1/2 oz Peloton de la Muerte)
1.5 mL Campari (1/8 oz)
25 mL Lime Juice (3/4 oz)
20 mL Sugar Syrup (3/4 oz)

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with grapefruit oil from a twist.
Two Thursdays ago, I had a bar guest at Drink who requested an aquavit drink. When I discovered that he was from Copenhagen, I mentioned that I had found a great site called the Cocktails of Copenhagen and made the Hazard (has a link to that blog) and other drinks from it. He got excited since two of his friends run that page. Therefore, when I got home, I returned to it and found the Dog that Bit Me for the evening's libation. The text seemed to suggest that it was Thomas Klem Anderson's recipe inspired by the Feels Like Berlin at the Barking Dog in Copenhagen with aquavit in place of the tequila. Thomas commented that "aquavit seems to have a weird affinity with grapefruit" and how the combination in this drink comes across like a funky toasted grapefruit. In the glass, the Dog that Bit Me lurched at the nose with grapefruit, smoke, and caraway aromas. Next, a semi-sweet citrus sip barked at a grapefruit and caraway swallow with a smoke finish.

No comments: