Friday, May 6, 2022

the coley

15 mL Smith & Cross (1/2 oz)
7.5 mL Havana Club 3 Year Rum (1/4 oz Privateer Tres Aromatique Overproof White Rum)
20 mL Campari (3/4 oz)
15 mL Sweet Vermouth (1/2 oz Lacuesta Rojo)
7.5 mL Averna (1/4 oz)
2 dash Chocolate Bitters (Angostura Cocoa)

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass with ice, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Fridays ago, my copy of The Claridge Cocktail Book that was recommended by Camper English of Alcademics arrived, and I wanted to make my post-shift drink from its pages. The one that called out to me was the Coley which appealed to me for two reasons: first, it came across like a Right Hand and Kingston Negroni, and second, my calico cat is named Coley (after the Hanky Panky creator Ada Coleman). The recipe was attributed to Ivan Villegas at Davies & Brook in London, and Ivan commented on Instagram that one of his coworkers collaborated on it (but used only his Instagram handle that was not attached to a real name). In the glass, the Coley brought forth an orange, caramel, and funky rum aroma. Next, grape and caramel notes on the sip slid into rum funk, chocolate, and orange flavors on the swallow.

No comments: