Saturday, May 14, 2022

diki-diki

2/3 Calvados (2 oz Morin Selection)
1/6 Swedish Punsch (1/2 oz Kronan)
1/6 Grapefruit Juice (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added a grapefruit twist.
I had recently spotted a reference to the Diki-Diki, and I was surprised to discover that I had neither made one nor posted about it on the blog. To rectify that two Saturdays ago, I opened up my copy of the 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book and made the recipe. I later traced the drink back to Robert Vermiere's 1922 Cocktails: How to Mix Them book where the ratio was a bit more Swedish punsch and grapefruit heavy (2:1:1 ratio instead of 4:1:1 in the Savoy). Vermiere described how he introduced this drink at the Embassy Club in London shortly before the publication of his book, and that "Diki-Diki is the chief monarch of the Island Ubian (Southern Philippines), who is now 37 years old, weighs 23 lb., and his height is 32 in." The Diki-Diki from the Savoy yielded a grapefruit, caramel, and rum aroma. Next, a semi-dry grapefruit and caramel sip transitioned into apple and tea flavors on the swallow. Overall, I felt that the flavor could be improved here, and perhaps Vermiere's ratio would fix that. Other recipe variations decrease the grapefruit and add simple syrup to balance the drink better and others add touches of dark rum and lemon juice into the mix.

No comments: