Wednesday, May 4, 2022

alternative ulster

1 1/2 oz Irish Whiskey (Teeling Small Batch)
3/4 oz Amaro Montenegro
3/4 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, garnish with a lemon twist (orange twist).
I was scanning the Kindred Cocktails database two Wednesdays ago to uncover a post-bar shift nightcap, and I stumbled upon the Alternative Ulster. I was lured in by the name which reminded me of a 1978 song by the Irish punk band Stiff Little Fingers (which appears on my Spotify punk mix), and the recipe crafted by Josh Perez at Middle Branch in Manhattan was submitted to the site by its creator in 2014. Overall, it reminded me of an Amaro Montenegro for Benedictine take on the Brainstorm from the Savoy Cocktail Book. In the glass, the Alternative Ulster gave forth an orange, clementine, and whiskey aroma. Next, hints of citrus and caramel on the sip flowed into whiskey, orange, nectarine, and cinnamon flavors on the swallow.

No comments: