Saturday, May 7, 2022

sable

2 oz Reposado Tequila (Cimarron)
1/4 oz Maple Syrup
1/4 oz Coffee Liqueur (Galliano Ristretto)
2 dash Bittermens Mole Bitters (Angostura Cocoa)

Build in a rocks glass, add a big ice cube, stir to mix and chill, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Saturdays ago, I opened up Kara Newman's Nightcap book for that reason -- a way to wrap up my evening as well as my bartending work week. The drink that spoke to me was the Sable by Vincent Chirico at Raine's Law Room in New York City, since a tequila Old Fashioned sweetened with coffee liqueur and maple syrup seemed delightful. While I have had tequila and mezcal drinks partnered with each of those sweeteners, I have not had them both in the sample glass regardless of the liquor base. Once combined, the Sable welcomed the nose with an orange, maple, and roast aroma. Next, maple's richness on the sip flowed into vegetal tequila, earthy maple, and roasty coffee flavors on the swallow with a maple and chocolate finish.

No comments: