Thursday, July 18, 2013

borinquen

1 1/2 oz Light Rum (Caliche)
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup (BG Reynolds)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Orange Juice
1 tsp 151 Proof Rum (Lemon Hart)

Blend with 1/2 cup of ice. Instead, I shook with ice and strained into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice.

Two Fridays ago, I continued on in my explorations of the Playboy's Host & Bar Book and decided to make a tiki-like drink called the Borinquen. It seemed perfect for a really hot night where we needed something cooling and refreshing. Since Borinquen is the indigenous Taíno name for Puerto Rico, I opted to use Caliche Rum from said island. Instead of the island-appropriate Bacardi 151 in our collection, I selected the more flavorful Lemon Hart as the spiritous accent here.
On the nose, the passion fruit's brightness was countered by the Lemon Hart's dark rum notes. The lime and orange citrus notes on the sip were smoothed out by the passion fruit, and the passion fruit continued on into the swallow where it mingled with the rum. Overall, the general feel of the drink reminded me of the gin-based Saturn that appears in Beach Bum Berry Remixed.

No comments: